Pages

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

The Generalist

I stumbled across this blog post by a fellow named Noah Lorang who works over at 37signals.  Noah works as a "data scientist" but was educated as a mechanical engineer (just like yours truly).  Noah contends that "...mechanical engineering programs are really about teaching you how to think about solving problems."  He gives as an example a process that he learnt for solving thermodynamic problems.  The process can be generalized to logically solve any problem. 

I fully agree with Noah and I think this blog post is excellent.  Mechanical engineering is a very general degree.  During my education, I took courses in the bedrocks of mechanical engineering like dynamics and statics, but also courses in computer programming, chemistry, digital logic and micro-processors, electric machinery, quantum mechanics, rocket propulsion, etc...  A very diverse list.  What my education taught me was how to solve problems.  Even if I have no background in the problem field, I can learn the necessary material and tackle the problem.  I also think that my broad education allows me to have a fast learning curve for any type of problem. 

Mechanical engineering might not have the sex appeal as computer or nano engineering, but I think mechanical engineering can provide any student with the background to be successful in any field. 

No comments:

Post a Comment