Pages

Saturday, April 27, 2013

Raring Ringtail

Just installed Raring Ringtail (Ubuntu 13.04) on my laptop.  I have been using Ubuntu at home exclusively for a little over a year.  I started with Precise Pangolin (12.04 LTS) and then upgraded to Quantal Quetzal (12.10).  If you are comfortable with Mac OS X you can pretty easily make the transition to an GNU/Linux system especially Ubuntu.  It is pretty user friendly.  There is a small learning curve -- about the same as going from Windows to Mac.  You can download Ubuntu from: http://www.ubuntu.com/download

Once you install I would recommend immediately running this code from the terminal:


I think there is enough Free and Open Source programs that everyone can now use a GNU/Linux distro.  I use LibreOffice as a replacement for MS Office.  I do have Matlab, but have been using Python with NumPy and SciPy more (just as good and free).  For word processor I like LaTeX with Texmaker editor.  Here is a quick desktop screen-shot.  I use Conky to display real time system info.  I also have a terminal open.


Here is also my conky file (put into ~/.conkyrc)

No comments:

Post a Comment